This post may contain affiliate links, which means at no extra cost to you I may make a small commission on products and services purchased through this blog. Thank you for supporting A Travellers Footsteps.
The views from Ella Rock are absolutely breathtaking. You could even say they are the best views in Ella. If you love mountainous terrain, hiking Ella Rock should be the first thing you do when visiting Ella.
This is everything you need to know about hiking Ella Rock, plus some photos that will prove to you just how amazing Ella Rock is.
The trail to Ella Rock
The trail to Ella Rock starts near Kital Ella Railway station.
You can either follow the train tracks from Ella Town or get a tuk-tuk to Kital Ella Railway Station.
As you enter the trail, you will cross a bridge and take a right turn after the bridge. The trail starts out relatively flat and passes some local homes and tea plantations.
As you start to climb the mountain the vegetation will become more forest like and the trail will begin to get steep. Half of the trail is relatively flat and half is a steep incline.
I would rate the trail as strenuous, taking an hour to an hour and a half one way.
The trail is confusing and not well marked. Many hikers get lost when hiking Ella Rock. We decided to take a guide and were thankful that we did as the trail splits many times and it isn’t clear which way you should go, and it isn’t always the obvious choice.
Although you can do it without a guide, I would recommend one.
We found our guide at Kita Ella Railway station (well in a way he found us). We paid him 5000 Rupees (30USD), which is quite expensive but for us was worth it as we didn’t want to get lost and were short on time.
Packing for Ella Rock
Wear hiking shoes, sunscreen and a hat. Pack a camera, water and snacks.
Tips for Hiking Ella Rock
- I am all for doing things myself and without a guide, but for Ella Rock, I do recommend a guide. The trail is confusing and splits many times, with no signage.
- Leave early, before it gets too hot and crowded. If you get up and down before 9 am you won’t need to pay the fee.
- Take water, but don’t worry if you run out, they sell water at the top of Ella Rock, near the ticket shed.
- Don’t miss Little Adams Peak, another amazing hike in Ella. And if you are looking for more things to do in Ella, click here.
Other things to do in Sri Lanka
- Go on a safari in Udawalawe National Park
- Visit Sigiriya Rock
- Photograph the country – these are the 15 best Instagram spots!