This post may contain affiliate links, which means at no extra cost to you I may make a small commission on products and services purchased through this blog. Thank you for supporting A Travellers Footsteps.
I have learnt the benefits of packing light the hard way. When I went on my first overseas trip I had a suitcase weighing 30kgs. My last trip to Bali, I had a backpack weighing 5kgs. I ALWAYS opt to travel light when I backpack and these are the reasons you should too.
1. No need to worry about checking your bag in
Keep your bag with you, saving you time on luggage scans and money on unexpected overweight fees.
2. You don’t have to wait for your luggage at the baggage carousel
I don’t know about you, but when I land I cant wait to get out of the airport and start exploring. Having my bag with me at all times means I can run off while everyone waits around the luggage carousel
3. You are in control of your belongings
No need to worry about your bags getting lost or damaged as you are in control.
4. You won’t get a sore back and feet from lugging a heavy bag around
When we backpack, we spend so much time walking with our luggage. A light backpack will make it so much easier to get around without struggling along the way.
5. Easier to manage your stuff
A small backpack makes things easier to find. The less you have, the less you have to lose.
6. You’ll be able to lock everything away in hostel lockers
You can’t lock up a massive suitcase
7. You don’t have to worry that your luggage won’t make it to the destination
If your bags are with you, you know they will arrive with you.
8. Repacking is a breeze
The less you have the easier it is to unpack and repack – which you will be doing A LOT.
9. Easier to get through lines
There is nothing worse than standing in a busy line with a massive suitcase a backpack and two handbags. Girls – we have all been there. It isn’t ideal.
10. Easier to get around busy streets
Having less will make it so much easier to get through the crowds on busy streets.
I recommend a 50L backpack.
Advice for packing light
- Purchase a smaller backpack.
- Leave home with extra room in your backpack. This will allow you to fit in souvenirs and other things you pick up along the way.
- Carry washing detergent so you can wash your own clothes as your backpack.
- Pack lots of versatile clothing and neutral colours so you can mix and match.
- Cut back on toiletry items and makeup products while you backpack.
- Refrain from purchasing every travel gadget. You really don’t need them!
- For more advice on what to pack, use this Backpacking Travel Essentials Guide.
- Remember – you don’t need a million pretty outfits just to look good on your Instagram!
- Overpacking is one of the biggest travel mistakes I have made.
Pin – Benefits of packing light
Disclosure: This post on the benefits of packing light contains affiliate links.